Jobs and Vacancies
Manager Assessment Research and Design
An initial 12 month Fixed Term contract, full-time, 37.5 hours per week
Salary: £38,500 – £42,000 per annum depending on experience
IB Global Centre, Cardiff
If you’re looking to work for a global organization with a meaningful mission, and with colleagues all over the world, then the International Baccalaureate® (IB) may have the ideal opportunity for you!
The IB is a leading global not-for-profit educational organization that offers curriculum and assessment worldwide to children aged 3-19. Our education programs encourage students to be active learners, well-rounded individuals and engaged world citizens.
In addition, we offer comprehensive professional development to support schools and educators.
The IB offers you a unique opportunity to use your skills and attributes in a passionate, mission-focused environment. We’re seeking the best talent, who have not just the required expertise and technical skills but also the behavioral qualities needed to support a variety of stakeholders in the education sector.
In return, you’ll get to work in a learning organization committed to your growth and development, with internationally minded professionals. If you meet all the requirements for this position and you’re seeking just that kind of opportunity, please apply!
Reporting to the Senior Managers Assessment Research and Design (ARD) and part of the Assessment Principles and Practice team (APP), the post holder will support the validation and ongoing development of assessment practice and procedures for the IB’s programmes of international education (PYP, MYP, DP and CP). The post-holder is expected to demonstrate and apply assessment research expertise and lead research that analyses the effectiveness of IB’s assessment content and procedures to improve the quality of its assessment. In addition, the post holder will provide assessment expertise and guidance to internal and external stakeholders involved in the Curriculum Review process to ensure that IB assessments are valid, challenging, manageable and meaningful. The job holder will develop and conduct research studies independently and in collaboration with Senior Managers ARD and will work closely with and the Learning and Teaching Division to ensure assessment decisions are principled, correctly considered and can be administered in an e-marking and e-assessment operation. A skilled communicator, the role holder will be able to convey complex information in an accessible form to ensure that key messages are clear to both internal and external audiences. The role will contribute to conference proposals and presentations as well as to research publications, which may be internally or externally published.
- Collaborates with Senior Managers ARD and Head of APP in developing research studies and reviewing assessment processes to improve the timely and correct delivery of the exam session.
- Provides guidance to curriculum review groups to achieve assessment models that are valid, challenging, manageable and meaningful, and collaborates with the curriculum and subject managers regarding the development of challenging but practical assessment models.
- Provides support, consultation and training to curriculum and assessment colleagues to help ensure that assessment design is valid, reliable and feasible.
- Designs, plans and undertakes studies assigned by the Senior Managers ARD that address the assessment research agenda focusing on assessment validation ensuring practical implementation.
- Develops and maintains expertise in at least one area of educational research sufficient to function as an in-house thought leader.
- Presents research findings to meetings and (academic) conferences, and contributes to peer-reviewed publications to ensure IB’s assessment has a high profile. Engages in internal and external dissemination activities, including the writing of IB Connect articles, presentations and IB global conferences.
- Master’s degree in education, statistics, social science or another field that provides exposure to research methods.
- Proven experience of managing and conducting quantitative, qualitative and/or mixed method research studies independently. Experience of managing large or complex data sets is an advantage.
- Strong research and analytical skills for finding, reviewing, evaluating and synthesizing reports, articles, and publications containing quantitative or qualitative data.
- Good understanding of the field of educational assessment, including policies and practices. An understanding of IB Assessment principles is an advantage.
- Excellent organizational skills and able to independently manage multiple projects within deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff from different divisions across an organization, negotiating the different priorities and objectives to deliver results. Proven ability to influence decision making in a co-creative process is an advantage.
- Strong ability to understand, review and evaluate education research theory, methodology and projects within national and international contexts.
- Proven computer skills; proficiency with or ability to quickly learn MS Office and software to assist data analysis (e.g. SPSS, R, NVivo).
- Excellent writing and communication skills for communication of information on research.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English (working language in the office); fluency in Spanish and/or French is an advantage.
- Knowledge of the IB, IB Programmes or being an IB Alumni is a plus.
The post-holder is required to work closely with both curriculum development staff in the IB Global Centre The Hague, as well as with assessment staff based in the IB Global Centre Cardiff to ensure the successful delivery and production of reliable results for DP, CP and MYP.
This post will require around 20% of working days to be spent in the IB Global Centre The Hague.
Applications are being accepted until the 9th February 2020.
*The International Baccalaureate is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer*
* This job is offered on local terms and conditions *