Jobs and Vacancies
Subject Manager (History)
Permanent, full-time, 37.5 hours per week
Salary: £36,000 – £40,000 per annum, depending on experience
IB Global Centre, Cardiff
If you’re looking to work for a global organization with a meaningful mission, and with colleagues all over the world, then the International Baccalaureate® (IB) may have the ideal opportunity for you!
The IB is a leading global not-for-profit educational organization that offers curriculum and assessment worldwide to children aged 3-19. Our education programs encourage students to be active learners, well-rounded individuals and engaged world citizens.
In addition, we offer comprehensive professional development to support schools and educators.
The IB offers you a unique opportunity to use your skills and attributes in a passionate, mission-focused environment. We’re seeking the best talent, who have not just the required expertise and technical skills but also the behavioural qualities needed to support a variety of stakeholders in the education sector.
In return, you’ll get to work in a learning organization committed to your growth and development, with internationally minded professionals. If you meet all the requirements for this position and you’re seeking just that kind of opportunity, please apply!
History has one of the largest candidatures in the Diploma Programme and it is a course that has been developed to offer candidates the opportunity to study local, regional and world history. The post-holder will lead and manage the assessment of Diploma Programme History to ensure quality, accuracy and fairness in assessment. The successful applicant will manage the senior examiner team for each component and will be responsible for all assessment related activities of these teams, including examination paper authoring, standardization and grade award. The post-holder will also work closely with other departments of the IB particularly those within the Assessment and Learning and Teaching directorates.
- Demonstrate leadership of a team of examiners, including senior examiners, for the designated subject
- Manage the preparation of examinations and assessment materials in conjunction with the Examination Preparation team (EP)
- Implement effective standardization processes and monitor the marking of assessment material
- Lead grade award meetings for the designated subject
- Collaborate with the Curriculum Manager over the curriculum development and the development of challenging but practical assessment models
- Contribute subject specific information to various IB publications and instructions, as required
- Plan and manage expenses related to assessment for the designated subject, as appropriate
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders any relevant information or advice on assessment related matters for the designated subject.
- A qualification at degree level in History or a related subject
- Significant and relevant post-qualification experience in educational assessment, teaching or research
- Excellent organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail and accuracy
- The ability to analyse and draw conclusions from statistical information
- Excellent writing skills in English (which is the working language of the organization)
- The ability to lead and work within a team and to foster a collaborative environment
- Competence in using standard office software (including Microsoft Word and Excel)
- A willingness to accommodate innovative ways of working with and using digital media
- The ability to manage multiple projects to agreed timelines
- The ability to present effectively for a variety of audiences and purposes
- Knowledge of the IB, IB Programmes or being an IB Alumni is a plus.
- The ability to work in a language in addition to English (preferably French and/or Spanish and/or German)
- Successful experience in a similar role
- Experience in examining
Other Special Requirements:
- Occasional travel will be required
- Flexibility to work weekends during peak examinations sessions (May/June, November/December).
Applications are being accepted until 08 July 2018
* This job is offered on local terms and conditions *
*The International Baccalaureate is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer*