Past Conference – 2009
Attard, Malta 5th-7th November 2009
Theme: Innovation in Assessment to meet changing needs.
Date: 5th-7th November 2009
Workshops: Pre-conference workshops were held on the 4th of November.
Conference Venue: The venue was the Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa, a beautiful 5-star hotel conveniently positioned in the centre of the island
Conference flyer: Click the above link to view a PDF of the programme for the 2009 conference in Attard.
The requirements of life in modern society constantly become more demanding and change continuously at an increasing rate. This change is most visible in the use of technology, but is also in social structures, occupational pressures and leisure pursuits. All this puts a new emphasis on skills such as adaptability, the location and evaluation of information, decision making, understanding risk and team working. It also requires a disposition to adapt to, or even welcome, change.
In response to these developments, the structures, expectations, methods and content of education are also evolving. Some of the trends apparent are modernising the curriculum, adjusting teaching methods and styles, and reconceptualising assessment.
The theme of the 2009 AEA-Europe conference intended to allow our assessment community to discuss and embrace these changes. Contributions included consideration of:
- Curriculum change and new forms of assessment needed to match these changes;
- Assessment of the skills emphasised in modern society, including team work, adaptability, managing information etc;
- New approaches to analysis of data reflecting new types of assessment;
- Technological change in delivering, taking or marking assessments;
- Management of change in assessment systems, both political and organisational.